After the highlight of the September 2022 Golf Day in which over £40,000 was raised, the charity has turned its attention to how to put that money to good use. There have been grants to Salvatorian College in support of its careers week and through its collaboration with the Young Harrow Foundation, five charities were supported in its build back better fund:
- MathsMakers: a summer intervention programme for pupils behind their potential in Maths
- Cedars Community Programme led by Watford FC Community Sports and Education Trust; activities designed to promote physical and mental well being through a series of challenges and activities
- SweetScience: a non contact boxing and mentoring programme specifically for disadvantaged young people to enhance confidence and overcome fear of failure
- Josh Hanson Trust; raising self awareness through an art based expression programme
- Harrow Steel: a 2 week summer programme aimed at 50 students to learn or improve steel pan skills and develop team working and self-expression
We are especially pleased to see the progress made at Shaftesbury School, where DDF is funding the development of a coffee shop in conjunction with Harrow School. The project has included 6th form students in its inception, design and development. To be named “Coffee on the Quad”, the shop will be run by groups of students, having undertaken barista training with shop logo also being designed by the students.
We are proud of our role, providing critical life and workplace learning for SHS students. and are very much looking forward to the “grand opening” probably in May.
Since the picture shown was taken, ramps have been installed, utilities are online and internal shopfitting is under way. Wow!